As partners in your camper’s year-round education, we understand just how important her time at camp is, and how you entrust us with her care and development while she’s at camp. To that end, we want to share with you the tips and insight that help inform our approach to camp as an enriching learning environment.
On this page you’ll find links to books, articles, and even blog posts that we’ve written all on topics we think will help parents and their kids make the transition to the first time at camp in a positive and confident way!
Additional resources can help parents all along the parenting journey with various issues and concerns for different ages and stages in your child’s life.
First Time Campers
- The Secret Ingredients of Summer Camp Success, a DVD by Dr. Christopher Thurber
- Notes from the Camp Bunk: A Guide for First-Time Campers From a Camper, by Eden Martin
The Benefits of Summer Camp
- Wall Street Journal article, “The Life Lessons of Summer Camp”
- Huffpost Parents article, “What’s Needed to Prepare Your Child for the Future? The Answer May Surprise You…”
- Psychology Today article “Summer camp gives children meaningful advantages in college.”
- American Camp Association: Psychological Benefits of Summer Camp
- ID Tech’s Benefits of Summer Camp Infographic
Unplugging and Time in Nature
- Richard Louv’s book Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature Defecit Discorder
- Our blog’s No Tech Series: Camp Unplugged
- Homesick and Happy: How Time Away from Parents Can Help a Child Grow by Michael Thompson
- American Camp Association article Coping With Homesickness with Dr. Christopher Thurber.
- Chris Thurber’s video How to have the most fun with the least homesickness
- Our blog posts on homesickness
- A Mini Camp Podcast that touches on homesickness
How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success by Julie Lythcott-Haims
The Blessing Of A Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children by Wendy Mogel Ph.D.