Rooted in the finest traditions of summer camping, Camp Alleghany was founded in 1922 by Dr. Walter Hullihen, founder and owner of Camp Greenbrier for Boys. With the help of director Hugh Worthington, Dr. Hullihen modeled Alleghany after Camp Aloha in Vermont, the camp Mr. Worthington’s wife Helen attended as a young girl. In 1947, the Worthingtons’ daughter Nancy took over as director.
Camp Alleghany’s leadership passed to the Dawson family in 1963 when S. Cooper Dawson, Jr. took over as director and owner. Later his son, Sam Dawson, took over as Director until December 2018, and now serves as President Emeritus. His wife, , and his wife, Bonnie Dawson, served during that time as the Head of Special Events.
Alleghany continues in the Dawson family today under the leadership of Cooper’s granddaughter, Director Elizabeth Dawson Shreckhise.
The family are supported by an Administrative team, who you can learn about here, and a carefully selected counseling staff. Together, they work to continue the traditions and ideals established in 1922, inspiring growth through honor, loyalty, and friendship.