Hello from your Camp Alleghany Directors!
At this point in time, your camper is probably eagerly wanting to begin packing. As you pull out those trunks and start to gather up her clothing and gear, we have a few reminders for you all.
2. Don’t forget about our partnership with Everything Summer Camp, which sells Alleghany-specific clothing and gear for us. They also sell trunks! We encourage you to check out our page on their website as you pack your bags.
3. Please remember that oversized trunks are not allowed, as they create a fire hazard in the tents, and plastic trunks are not recommended due to their lack of durability. Again, view the trunks on our Everything Summer Camp website to see a sample of the size that works best at Alleghany.
4. Remember to pack a sleeping bag! (Term Camp only). Quite frequently counselors enjoy taking their campers, along with another tent or two, on an overnight to one of our nearby, on-site camping sites.
5. Check out this fun blog entry that was written about packing for camp on our Camp Alleghany Blog!
6. Lastly, this is a reminder to review our policies on electronic devices, found both on the website and in the Parent Handbook. As always, cell phones are not allowed under any circumstances. Should your camper bring one to camp it will be confiscated and kept in the office until the close of the term. The Camper Code of Conduct addresses this, and we expect that all Alleghany girls be on their honor to uphold this policy.
Additionally, we do not allow any devices that have Internet access or that show videos. This especially applies to iPods and eReaders such as Kindles. All new iPods have video capabilities, so we ask your camper to please delete all videos before coming to camp (she can re-load them once she is back at home). Additionally, the iPod Touch has Internet capability, so this type of iPod is not allowed at all at camp. A simple mp3 player, or even a radio/discman are perfectly acceptable. Certain eReaders have Internet capability so they would not be allowed in camp.
Part of Camp Alleghany’s mission and philosophy is:
Living under an honor system and in the safety of the wilderness away from the distractions of modern technology, the girls build new skills, lasting friendships, and solid self-confidence.
We ask that you help us fulfill this mission by not packing these items in your camper’s bags. To read more about Alleghany’s policy, and to learn more about the benefits of a digital detox at camp, please see our No-Tech Blog Series.
We thank you for your understanding, and we are looking forward to welcoming your camper to Alleghany this summer!
Happy packing, and see you very soon!