We did not know what to expect when we crossed the Greenbrier River on the barge and arrived at Camp Alleghany. What we found was a community of warm, friendly people, breathtaking scenery, outdoor adventures, and time to really be with family. There is no sweeter sound than Taps at the end of a full day. Even though we have no connection to Camp Alleghany, my husband, grandchildren and I all feel like ‘Ghany Campers. Thank you!”
NOTE: We fully intend to run family programming this summer. Due to continued restrictions and concerns around COVID, we’ll blend our traditional Family Camp with components of the successful Family Retreats program that we held during summer 2020. Please read further for what it will look like this summer.
What Family Camp Is Like
You’ll come for the fun, fellowship, and relaxation and leave refreshed, renewed, and invigorated for the seasons ahead!
Would you like to take an affordable family vacation to the beautiful mountains of West Virginia? Situated in beautiful Greenbrier County, it’s a place where families enjoy outdoor living at its finest. Take a break from our fast-paced society and come to the peaceful banks of the Greenbrier River. Enjoy quality time with your family participating in our many activities or just kicking back and enjoying each others’ company.
All activities are offered daily (weather providing); make your own schedule! You decide how much or how little you want to participate in. Choose any or all activities including: swimming, canoeing, rifle, archery, arts & crafts, hiking, campfires, roasting s’mores, spending quality family time, and more.
At the time of registration you’ll be responsible for the $100.00 non-refundable deposit. The remainder of your balance is due July 15; you will receive an email in early July with your invoice. If you would like to pay earlier or have payment questions, please email us.
2021 Dates & Rates:
- Sunday, August 8th to Sunday, August 15th
- Adults: $85.00/night (includes 6% WV sales tax)
- Children 2-12: $42.50/night (includes 6% WV sales tax)
- Children under 2: Free
- Families are housed in tents up to 5 people per tent. An extra tent fee of $250 will apply for families smaller than 5 requesting more than one tent.
- 7 Nights: Sunday, August 8th to Sunday, August 15th
- 4 Nights: Sunday, August 8th to Thursday, August 12th
- 3 Nights: Thursday, August 12th to Sunday, August 15th
2021 Programs & Evening Activities Schedule
- Check out our 2021 Schedule for an idea of the activities and events we will be planning this summer.
Family Camp 2021 and COVID-19
This summer we are requesting the following from families prior to arrival at Alleghany for Family Camp:
- Limit/reduce exposure for 10 days prior to your arrival day – take proper precautions, limit social gatherings and places where proper precautions aren’t being taken
- Track and record all family members’ temperatures for 10 days prior to your arrival day
- PCR test taken within 7 days of your arrival day, negative test results submitted to the Office
- Rapid test on Opening Day
Arrival and Departure
- Arrivals: Arrival days are Sunday 8/8 and Thursday 8/12. We are not able to make exceptions to this. All arrivals will take place in the afternoon of your arrival day between 1:00 and 4:30pm.
- Health Screening: Upon arrival, a rapid test will be performed on all guests, all guests’ temperatures will be taken, and screening questions will be asked.
- Departures: Departure days are Thursday 8/12 and Sunday 8/15. We are not able to make exceptions to this. All departures will take place on the morning of your departure day, between 8:30am and 12:00pm.
- Tents with hardwood floors and beds.
- Showers and flush toilets adjacent to tent area.
- On-site washing machine and dryer.
- Families are houses in platform tents, up to 5 people per tent
- Families may reserve one of our 2-bedroom, 1-bathroom Cowbell Alley Cabins for an extra fee
Cowbell Alley Cabin Accommodations and Pricing:
Two families at a time can stay in our Cowbell Alley Cabins. Each is a two-room cabin with its own private bathroom, electricity, and 2-3 beds per room (inquire with questions). Families are responsible for their own bedding.
- Three-night stay is $1113 per family unit up to five people ($1050 + 6% sales tax of $63)
- Four-night stay is $1484 per family unit up to five people ($1400 + 6% sales tax of $84)
- Seven-night stay is $2597 per family unit up to five people ($2450 + 6% sales tax of $147)
- Staff: Our Family Camp staff is comprised of mostly Alleghany alumni. Apply to be on Family Camp Staff.
- Pets: We’re sorry, but we can’t accommodate pets.
- Medical: Family campers are responsible for their own medical care while at Alleghany. We have basic first aid supplies, and the Greenbrier Valley Medical Center is 15 minutes away by car.
What to Bring:
Below is an initial packing list, stay tuned for a more detail list coming soon!
- Bedding (sleeping bags, or twin sized sheets and blankets)
- Towels (bath and river)
- Clothing for warm days and cool nights
- Rain gear
- Swim wear, water shoes
- Inner tubes/floats
- Camp chairs
- Cooler, snacks, drinks, and containers to store them in
- Battery-powered lanterns or flashlights
- Tennis racquet
- Golf clubs
- Fishing gear
- Hiking boots
- Shotguns, shells, and clays for trap shooting
- Clothes for caving
- Rest Hour items (books, cards, quiet games)
- Please do not bring any valuables