Editor’s Note: There are at minimum 99 Things about life at Camp Alleghany for Girls that are NOT changing this summer! That’s why we started our 99 THINGS Blog Series with: Part 1: Activities, Part 2: Downtime!, Part 3: Food., Part 4: Mornings & Evenings, Part 5: Evening Activities., Part 6: Traditions!
Cool mornings and evenings, warm summer days, the wet and wonderful river — these are the staples of our time at Camp Alleghany and they form the routine in what we wear.
We need sweatshirts to keep us warm, shorts to make it through the heat of a July day, and bathing suits for those lazy river floats.
At night we get into our warmest jammies for the chilly nights in our old school platform tents and when we have our friendly competitions it’s all about the Blue and Gray. And if you’re a Start-Up, a Midway, an LIT, a JC, a Tinge, an NCCC and more…well, you’ve all got your colors to sport, dontcha?!
And what about our other gear? Guess what? No pandemic can take away or change our regular outdoor camp clothing. That’s how clothes became the 7th category of fun stuff about camp that’s going to be just the same this year as every other summer.
So let’s look at just a few of the clothing items and ‘Ghany Gear that you can wear this summer:
1. Love tie de? Well you can wear tie dye every day if you want.
2. You’ll arrive at camp in Blues and Whites and wear them to dinner.
3. ‘Ghany Girls always get creative on Carnival Day in their patriotic clothes for July 4th or holiday wear for Christmas in July!
4. Don’t forget those long sleeves to breakfast!
5. Cover those toes in crocs crocs crocs!
6. With all the walking over hill and dale you’ll be working on — and working — that Chaco tan.
7. What will we have at the Camp Store this year? Get excited for new ‘Ghany Gear and set the scene for a cool fashion summer.
8. Whether it’s a chilly morning or a warm evening fire, cozy up in your ‘Ghany hoodie and sweatpants for that warm, fuzzy “no place like camp” kinda feeling.
9. Nothing like a Pajama Night — wear yours to Milk & Cookies and Movie Nights!
10. It’s time to chillax — wear open-toed shoes and bathing suits to Lunch Under the Apple Tree (LUTAT).
11. Don’t forget to pack your cat shirts for Caturday!
Chill sunglasses, fabulous visors, fun costumes for shows — what’s your favorite part of clothing at Alleghany? I know I can’t wait to see you wearing it!
Elizabeth Shreckhise, Director, Camp Alleghany for Girls
*If you want to learn more about the merits of sleepaway summer camp, download my FREE e-book, 3 Reasons to Begin Your Child’s Sleepaway Summer Camp Experience Early. It’s a great resource to share with friends, or if you are a first-time camp family and you wonder what sleepaway camp would be like for your child. We’re open this summer — so come join us!