This upcoming summer, 2019, will mark the inaugural summer of our Leaders-In-Training Program (LIT). To that end, we’re looking for the right candidate to take our vision for LIT and, with our support, make it soar. If you’ve been a counselor at Camp Alleghany for Girls previously, and believe you have the organizational skills, inspirational leadership qualities, and interpersonal qualities that make you a good fit for this position, and you’ve reviewed the following LIT Leader Job Description, we encourage you to apply.
LIT Leader Job Description
This role includes but is not limited to the following duties*:
- Oversee all aspects or the LIT Program.
- Ensure participants are engaged, learning, and growing in a safe and productive setting.
- Help LITs plan, organize, and implement an Evening Activity.
- Lead and organize in-camp service project for LITs.
- Lead and organize an out-of-camp service project.
- Create and implement lesson plans that develop leadership in older teens.
- Create a calendar to incorporate all aspects of the six-week program.
- Be intellectually and emotionally available to support and mentor the LITs.
- Act as a positive role model at all times.
- Work closely with the Program Director in planning and implementation of program.
- Teach and build transferable skills that will aid the participant in future roles whether as a Junior Counselor, Counselor, or out-of-camp opportunities including internships, school/church/community leadership, and other jobs.
- Communicate and coordinate with Directors and support staff when LITs will be assisting in different areas of camp.
- Communicate and coordinate with the Program Director and Office Manager on travel logistics when LITs will be off site.
- Communicate and work with other Counselors, Head Counselors, Support Staff, and Admin team in planning out LIT programming.
- Help LITs build confidence and real world skills through hands-on participation and dialog.
- Reinforce Camp Alleghany traditions and ideals.
- Develop special LIT traditions.
- Plan once-a-week early morning meditative/reflective activities.
- Drive and oversee LITs on offsite trips (license required).
- Lead Lifeguarding Course.
- Lead CPR/FA Course.
- Ensure LITs keep the LIT Lodge and their tents neat and orderly.
- Enforce curfew.
- Ensure LITs are conducting themselves appropriately on and off Tent Row.
- Offer constructive feedback, both formal and informal, to each participant.
- Write and submit a thorough end-of-summer report on the program.
- Create and maintain a binder with lessons, activities, workshops, service project ideas, calendars, etc. for future LIT summers that will remain with camp.
- Assist in any other areas of camp as needed.
*These duties may change slightly as plans for the program are finalized
LIT Leader Job Requirements
- Aged 21 years or older.
- Previous leadership experience at Camp Alleghany.
- Drivers license and clean driving record.
- Ability to drive 15 passenger van (we will train).
- Low Ropes Course experience preferred (we will train).
- Lifeguard Instructor Certification (we will subsidize this training).
- Passion to work with and grow 16-year-olds into strong leaders.
- Ability to work all required season dates.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Facility with communication including strong verbal and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good team player.
- Positive attitude.
- Willingness to work hard, play hard, and get your hands dirty.