I have some really exciting news to share with our beloved camp community. In fact, I’m flush with excitement (ba-dum-tsch!) That’s right, we’re getting newly remodeled bathrooms and showers!
We heard you, we heard you, we heard you in our feedback surveys and we’ve absolutely wanted to get this done for a few years now. The timing wasn’t always perfect because some other more urgent updates needed to take place. But now it’s finally the Johns’ turn!
Woo-hoo, and the crowd goes wild!!!
And now the not really bad news, but just some tempered news…this remodel will happen in two phases, so it won’t be 100% ready for next summer, but the plan is to be finished for Summer 2018.
This is because some infrastructure work takes place first. The first step is all the drainage work we’ve been doing all through camp, which Director Sam Dawson (my dear old dad) blogged about recently. Boring as it is to hear about underground pipes and slopes of land, that was a much needed upgrade throughout all of camp and made even more urgent by the historic West Virginia Flood of 2016.
Coming to a Camp Near You: New Johns!
But with that foundation laid, here is what’s going on next. The project’s two phases are as follows:
- By Summer 2017: Fully revamped New Johns (this is in progress as we speak, thank heavens for the good weather!)
- By Summer 2018: completely new shower house, likely to be built on the back side of the New Johns, with more showers than we have now (so shorter lines!).
- More toilets added to the New Johns along with the second showers addition.
Can I get an amen!
The final project will essentially be one large bath house, that has both toilets and showers, and more of both than we already have at this time.
We’ll still have separate entrances, and we’ll have better traffic flow as well. And as for aesthetics, the addition will be built of wood, not cinder block, which we believe will be more attractive in general and in keeping with the rustic spirit of the camp facilities overall.
So at this time, what we’ve done/are doing through the able leadership of our Facilities Director Garrett O’Dell and his crack team is:
- Ripped out every single toilet in the New Johns.
- Replacing the toilets this spring with power flush toilets (yay!).
- The floor has been redone.
- New mirrors are being put up.
- All the concrete steps/platforms around the exterior will be removed.
- New paint inside and out.
- New doors.
- Some grass growth/mulch/beautification around the exterior, incorporating river rock as well for walkways (wonder where in the world we’ll ever find river rock? haha).
Basically you’ll feel like a million bucks walking into these Johns even if you’re covered in mud, sweat, and tears!
As for our current shower house, we’re adding new doors on to the stalls (to replace the curtains) for the time being until we get our new shower house in 2018, which will also have doors instead of curtains.
We hope our current campers and families will be just as thrilled about this project as we are! We know everyone is anxious to have new showers as well (we are, too), but the way our off-season works, there just isn’t enough time this year to accomplish it all. But never fear — this is a major priority to complete by summer 2018.
I feel squeaky clean just thinking about it!
— Elizabeth Dawson Shreckhise, Assistant Director, Camp Allegheny for Girls